Saturday, May 26, 2007

Life is good again

Today was good. I slept super late but once I was up I was reasonably productive and actually left my house. Tomorrow I need to do so much stuff. I've been putting things off forever and tomorrow that's all going to catch up with me. That's okay though. I don't mind tomorrow being really busy as long as I have the energy for it. That's the thing. I just never know what I'm going to feel like when I wake up in the morning. If tomorrow is good like today then that will be just perfect.

I was doing some thinking today. As if that's anything new for me - I'm in my head way too much. But anyway, I was thinking about things that happen, like indicators of my mood being too high or low. I want to be totally honest about this stuff with myself. I started this experiment of no meds with the intention of really figuring out if I'm bipolar and the only way that is going to happen is if I'm totally honest with myself. So lemme see......

The Down Stuff:
- Sleep a lot
- No energy to do anything
- Don't bother eating much
- Quit answering the phone
- Cry (or feel like crying a lot)
- Feel completely hopeless - like I'm a failure
- Listen to depressing music
- No creativity whatsoever
- Irritable (I don't know if this is actually a down or an up thing)
- Psychomotor retardation - that'd be the proper name for my body completely slowing down. I once had a therapist who wondered if I was ever going to blink again when I was really depressed.
- Suicidal ideations - sometimes with a plan
- Don't want to be around people
- Call in sick to work
- Can't concentrate or focus - like if I'm trying to read something I could read the same page five times and not know what I read.
- Can't do my job - interpreting for deaf students is nearly impossible because I can't hold the verbal information long enough to get it out in sign language.
- Write in my journal more
- My house becomes an absolute disaster because I have no energy to clean anything
- Self medicate (not so much anymore)
- Drink alcohol

Okay, that's about all I can think of for now. And the other side of things......

The Up Stuff:
- Psychomotor agitation - really fidgety, can't sit still, if I'm sitting and doing something I'll keep getting up to do something else then come back.
- Easily distracted by irrelevent stimuli - I was once having a conversation with someone at work and kept getting distracted by absolutely everything in the environment behind her. I kept trying to refocus but it was futile.
- SOMETIMES I don't need as much sleep - More often it's just harder to fall asleep because my mind is too busy to let me fall asleep.
- Super giggly - everything is funny and I'm full of jokes and humor (or at least I find myself really amusing).
- Listen to really upbeat music
- Physically move faster - I was once walking with my friend who is way taller than me and walks pretty fast himself, and I pretty much kept leaving him 10 paces behind me before I realized how fast I was walking.
- Feel really confident - Now...... I don't think I get over confident. I think I just really believe that I can accomplish my goals like finishing university with good marks and things like that. I did once almost sign up for more university classes than I could have handled while working full time, but I stopped myself from doing that.
- I'm more creative but can't sit still long enough to finish anything - here's an example...... I like to scrapbook but when I feel good enough to be creative I tend to get more distracted by all the supplies I have and it takes forever for me to actually put a page together. I spend more time doing everything else but what's in front of me to do.
- Start a lot of activities but finish almost nothing
- More social - this means I just really like being around my friends and visiting with them. Not social like going out until all hours of the night or phoning people at inappropriate times. I just really like to talk (and talk and talk and talk) so I like being around people at these times.
- I don't always hear what people are saying when they're talking to me because I have my own little thought conversation going on in my head.
- I don't get cold - it could be really cold outside (like other people are shivering so I know it's cold) but I might be in only a t-shirt but not feeling the cold at all.
- Irritable (again, I don't know if this is an up or down thing, or maybe both) - I get road rage sometimes.
- Sometimes I drink when I'm in a super good mood
- I don't like taking meds when I'm in a good mood because I feel like it's going to bring me down
- I've been known to take extra antidepressants when I'm in a good mood, hoping to prolong it
- Pressured speech - this I've seen written in my charts from when I was hospitalized, but they're right. I know that sometimes I start talking as fast as my brain is thinking and people have a really hard time keeping up with me.
- Go off on unrelated tangents when I'm talking
- Can't focus because my mind is too busy - I once forgot how to drive a standard (while I was driving) because I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing. I literally had to coast in neutral for about 10-20 seconds to figure it out, and I drive a standard car every day.
- Sometimes I get an energy that doesn't "feel natural" - I can't really explain it but it just doesn't feel right, not natural. Sometimes this includes physically feeling my energy tingling under my skin (or at least I think I feel it).

Okay, I think that's about all of that for now. But, there are some things I DON'T do when I'm in a good mood that I think are kind of hallmarks of bipolar disorder. I don't spend a lot of money or go all sex crazy. I don't have delusions or get paranoid. I don't think that there are special plans for me or the world. I've never been spoken to by God or other figureheads of the world, nor do I believe anyone is watching me or making me do things. I know these more extreme things are Bipolar type 1 but I've just never been anywhere near those things that I can recall.

Yes, when I read what I wrote above I realize those things don't sound normal when all grouped together, but those things don't always all happen at once. Those things are just stuff I remember over the last 8-ish years happening at one time or another. Yes, several of those things do happen at once sometimes but it just never feels overly extreme to me, so this is why I wonder if I really have a mental illness that needs medications to deal with it.

I think that's enough for now.....

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

bipolar planet
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next